Most of us have heard that video games can cause teens to develop violent tendencies. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the Columbine shooters, were big fans of a first-person shooter game called Doom. Lt. Col. David Grossman even writes in his book On Combat that “all of [the school shooters] were obsessed with media violence.”
Research seems to support this conclusion as well. A 2000 study, along with several others, found that exposure to visually violent games correlates with an increase in aggression.
Although this may seem convincing, it’s important to take this data with a grain of salt. A 2012 UK study found that although watching violent videos produced a slight (.13 point) increase in aggression, there was no correlation between video game playing and any sort of antisocial behavior.
A 2007 study of peer-reviewed research determined that publication bias was a problem with the majority of the research on the effects of video games. In fact, once adjusted for biases, there was no evidence to support the idea that violent video games increase violent behavior in teens.
These three studies contradict each other. Scientists and psychologists have yet to find a correlation between teen aggression and the use of violent video games.
When analyzing tragedy caused by teen violence, such as the Columbine incident, it’s important to keep in mind that video game violence is most likely not the worst thing kids are exposed to. Video game addiction may be a symptom of mental illness, or even a form of escapism from bullying, sexual abuse, or violence perpetuated against them.
There is simply not sufficient evidence to assume games are increasing aggression in children, let alone to peg it as a primary cause of shootings.
Divorce proceedings present an array of obstacles for couples looking to legally separate. In addition to appropriately dividing financial earnings and property, couples with children must also come to a custody agreement. Depending on the child custody agreement, one parent might be ordered by the court system to provide financial supplementation to the parent with primary custody. The child support money provided is intended to be spent on the child, though the financial allocation is subject to the discretion of the parent with primary custody.
Hiring an attorney can be useful in reaching a child support agreement. In addition to the mediators of a potentially volatile discussion, lawyers well-versed in family law also bring a wealth of legal expertise to the logistics of child support agreements. Lawyers can assists both parents in setting up financial support plans that are able to be amended as the child’s needs or parent’s finances change. Some families find that they need to shift the payment amounts after following a particular support plan for a while. In these cases, whether they payment amount is increasing or decreasing, legal consultation can help both parents reach a satisfactory financial amount.
Child support plan modifications are a convenient and practical resource for families to use should they need to. Lawyers can also help a parent hold the other legally accountable for providing the financial supplementation that they had previously agreed to provide. Informal enforcement of child support agreements can be difficult for one parent to manage on their own. In fact, many people who try to reach informal agreements without legal help often find that they don’t receive as consistent of child support payments as people that utilize the resources that family lawyers provide.
Medical malpractice is one of the causes of many personal injury claims. The rising number of deaths due to medical malpractice and negligence has made it the third leading cause of death in the United States, following heart disease and cancer. A person can file for personal injury against a medical practitioner if their negligence was the cause of the injury that they have endured.
About 15 percent of personal injury lawsuits are caused by medical malpractice. There are many types of medical malpractice that can lead to personal injury. Here are just some of the most common ones:
- Childbirth – a medical professional can cause fetal injuries before, during or after the birth of the child. Some common injuries include brain injuries, bone fractures, and Erb’s palsy. Because the child may end up suffering from the injuries, the website of the Law Office of Bill Pelhan suggests taking the case to court in order to get compensation for the possible lifetime treatment, rehabilitation and medication of the child. It may not only be the child who is in danger of childbirth injures, but the mother’s health is also in danger.
- Surgical – mistakes in the operating table often lead to personal injuries. Punctured internal organs, operating on the wrong body part, leaving medical instruments in the body, or failure to administer proper post-operation care that lead to infection could be a basis for personal injury or medical malpractice claims.
- Medication – it may not be as popular, but medication errors cause serious injuries to about 1.5 million people in the US alone. It may be due to wrong administration of the drug, or giving out the wrong prescription or dosage to the patient.
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis – this could lead to the patient developing further complications from their sickness because it is not properly or timely addressed. Also, taking the wrong medication or treatment can cause more stress and aggravation to their bodies and drain their emotional and mental health.
Patients should know that although they may feel like the doctors or other medical professionals treating them have performed lower than the needed standard of care require from them, it is not a strong basis for a personal injury or medical malpractice lawsuit. It is necessary to prove that the negligence is the direct cause of the injury that has caused significant harm and damages to the patient. Because medical malpractice has highly regulated body of rules that vary from state to state, asking help from a legal representative would aid in understanding if you have a strong case and how much compensation you are entitled to.
Data on marriages and divorces has shown that divorce rates have gone down in the past few decades, although it’s not as visible because of the number of people asking for divorce all over the United States. People who are unhappy with their marriages choose to end it by filing for divorce, thus the need to hire a divorce lawyer. Hiring one will ensure that both parties’ rights as well as interests are upheld. Different factors in a divorce are to be considered and here are some things you should look into if you are seeking to file for divorce:
- Divorce can happen to just about anyone. You are not the only one who is ending their marriage, and having the courage to say it (albeit that it’s one of the hardest things to face) is important in order to move on with your life. Don’t be afraid of the changes that divorce may make to your life; don’t be afraid to take you shot at happiness.
- Make sure to keep yourself focused on the divorce. It’s not only about lawyers settling the case; you have to do your part in achieving what you want to happen before, during, and after the divorce. Make goals, not only about the divorce but what you will do after it: plan for your future and save money; divorce is only the door you open, what you do after depends solely on you.
- The stress of going through the divorce can take a toll on your health, make sure to take a rest and keep yourself healthy. If you are feeling something that is physically troubling you that you think is caused by the divorce, call your family doctor to talk about possible relief or medication. Going to a therapist may also help out clear and refresh your mind and sort out your emotions.
- If you have children, never disregard their feelings. Make sure that you put the divorce in a positive light in order to keep a healthy relationship with your children (and their possible children). Divorce doesn’t mean you have to be away from your children or that you will not be a part or their life anymore. In the long run, they may be the one suffering the most, compared to the pain you are temporarily feeling now.
- Find a lawyer you trust and is willing to help you settle the divorce amiably, and is ready to go to court should the negotiations go awry. Make sure you don’t let your emotions control your actions or decisions: as advised by Marshall & Taylor, P.C. you should know your legal rights. It is also important to know what to expect from the whole process of divorce; the time it will take, the possible costs you will endure, the rules, and many others. Have honest and constant communication with your lawyer about the proceeding.
Make sure you know what you want in life: divorce is one of the life-changing things that can happen to anyone. You may know what you want now, but have a clear vision of how you will be after going through divorce.
Freight factoring is one way for truckers and trucking companies to instantly get paid for their work even if the freight broker or shipper they are working for does not pay them according to schedule. It is a good way to keep the cash flowing and the business going. Freight factoring is readily available for any trucker or trucking company who needs to have operating capital for their next load. It is a good investment if you want money for maintenance, fuel, equipment, employee payroll, and anything that the refight factoring can offer. With so many advantages, it may be hard to not avail of such offers, but you should know which one to choose.
One thing to look into before choosing a freight factoring provider is the speed of funding: there are those that offer payment hours after receiving the bills or invoice, while others wait until the next business day. Knowing how quick you can get funding is vital because it helps you manage the cash flow. Make sure you understand this part before signing up with a freight factoring company.
Second, make sure that the freight factoring company that you choose has employees that know about the job and are readily available to assist you should you require some help or inquire about a problem. Commercial trucks are susceptible to accidents because of their size and loads, whether it is because of interior or exterior issues. As stated on the website of the Law Offices of Donald D. Guthrie, truck accidents are more devastating than other vehicle accidents since they are significantly bigger and heavier, causing severe injuries or even deaths. Choose a freight factoring company that can assist you properly while being on the road and caters to your specific needs. Driving for long hours with heavy loads is already stressful enough; you don’t have to deal with poor service and customer support.
Lastly, check if the freight factoring offers recourse or non-recourse. Recourse could put you at risk of paying back the freight factoring company if the broker refused to pay or has gone broke. Non-recourse means the company takes the risk and you are paid even if the broker does not pay the freight factoring company or not. This option, however, may mean you pay more because of the risks involved.
With today’s challenging market, it can be hard to choose which freight factoring to go with. Although this option is a great way to help you with trucking finances, knowing the best ones that cater to your requirements is vital in order to keep the cash flowing. Survey which ones work for you and pick the one you think works best for you.
If you have been in a car accident, whether you were the one at fault or you have been a victim of someone else’s recklessness, you understand that each accident that happens has an effect on your car insurance: whether it is speeding, DUI, car crash, or any traffic violation. Aside from factors such as the type of car you are driving, your age, or the state where you live and drive in, your driving record carries more weight on your car insurance policy.
According to the website of Insure on the Spot, car insurance companies can also depend their rates on a whether a driver is a low-risk client or a high-risk one. Depending on the state, points may or may not be assigned after you have violated a certain traffic rule. This point system was initially made in order to track and punish reckless and dangerous drivers, and through this point system insurance companies can accurately read a driver’s risk of getting into an accident, therefore could give a higher premium.
There are ways that you can do to help avoid paying high car insurance premiums. Driving points are like golf scores – the lower the better. Avoiding accidents and being a defensive driver is just one thing you can do to help get lower premiums. You can do this by going to a defensive driving school. Ask the DMV in your area about schools they approve to get your certification, this and keeping a spotless driving record.
If your state allows points to be dropped after a certain amount of years, you can wait it out before applying for new car insurance. Make sure that the points were dropped before applying or even before getting an estimate to ensure you get the lowest possible premiums that you prefer. Lastly, if you believe you have been given a ticket unjustly, you can hire a lawyer to sort it out in court.
Make sure to check or keep up with your driving points: DMV is not perfect and could sometimes post the wrong information. This is crucial especially if you are planning to renew your policy or if you are searching for a new provider for your car insurance. Being given the wrong driving points can spell the difference when you get your insurance premiums.
Despite many laws passed that stop gender discrimination, the workplace is still teeming with workers suffering from such discrimination. Experiencing gender biases can have a strong effect on the workplace, as stated below:
- Productivity – those who suffer from gender discrimination have lower motivation and morale which could be an important part in a worker’s ability to perform their tasks. This will eventually lead to low productivity. Discrimination can occur through offensive jokes that are sexual in nature, words that could cause someone to feel inferior, or even implying that a co-worker’s work is inferior because of their gender. According to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, anyone is prohibited from sex-based discrimination in the “terms and conditions” of the contract. The website of Cary Kane LLP pushes that anyone, from employers to co-workers, can be held liable if they have done such acts.
- Promotion – although happens to both genders, women are often the victims of being passed over from promotions. Many supervisors engage in this illegal practice, often fueled by prejudiced ideas of gender roles and abilities.
- Responsibilities – particularly family responsibilities, can present itself in the workplace. Many women who have children may be given menial jobs or lesser responsibilities if the employer thinks they will be not performing enough due to being torn between home and work: many women have experience this particular push back even when they are still applying for a job.
- Destruction – those who suffer from gender discrimination at work often result to destruction (either to themselves or to others) in order to defend themselves. Self-destructive behaviors such as insecurity, physically hurting one’s self, and others characteristics can become a hindrance in every work, while harming others, destroying company property, spreading rumors, and other bad habits can form in defense of being discriminated.
It is not that rare to encounter gender discrimination in the workplace, as stated in an article from Ross Law Group, an average of about 78 claims have been reported to the highest authority regarding gender discrimination every year. Aside from being discriminated, women are also more likely to have lower salaries than their counterparts. It helps to know your rights in the workplace and how you can protect yourself from such actions.